In 1901 the community decided that Oxen Park should have it's own reading room. The decision was taken at a meeting in Colton School and so the first committee was formed. They fetched the hall from the train at Greenodd by horse and cart, in 1902 the hall was built.

Some of our historic documents

The hall was purchased in 1902 Here's the invoice

hall invoice 1902

The hall was extended in 1954, we have the planning application, conscent and invoice for it - here

extension planning application extension planning conscent extension invoice

There are copies of these papers on display in the Oxen Park Reading Rooms, along with the extension plan drawing.

To come........ Notes from the old meeting note books........ with rules like 'men must not spit in the fire'.........